RYE FREE READING ROOM
2019-2021 STRATEGIC PLAN
Approved by the Board of Trustees, May 21, 2019
To serve as a dynamic gathering place and center for lifelong learning for Rye residents of all ages and interests.
The 2019-2021 Strategic Plan was developed by the Rye Free Reading Room Strategic Planning Committee, which comprised RFRR Director, members of the RFRR Board of Trustees, and a representative of the Rye Free Reading Room Auxiliary Board.
In order to build a Strategic Plan that incorporated the needs and perspectives of the broadest sector of the RFRR community, the Committee used data from a 2016 user satisfaction survey and conducted a second survey in September and October of 2018. The 2018 survey, which collected demographic information on respondents and focused on library spaces and services, was distributed both online and by paper at the library, via online communities, partner email listservs, and the public school Parent Teacher Organizations.
In order to assess needs in the community, as well as to reach non-user populations, members of the Committee talked with community stakeholders and partners, such as the Rye Historical Society, the Rye Youth Council, local business owners and the Rye Chamber of Commerce, as well as teachers and school district administrators. Library staff participated in a first review of the plan, and had the opportunity to submit feedback and questions.
For the next three years, the Rye Free Reading Room will address 5 areas for service improvements. Each service area will have supporting measurable goals for evaluation.
- Strengthen school and youth serving organization partnerships.
- Develop the Rye Free Reading Room Business Center.
- Complete a Campus Plan development process for future capital improvements.
- Advance strategic partnerships with community and regional agencies
- Increase community knowledge of all activities with additional marketing resources
Under the direction of the Director, staff will develop tasks and projects over the next three years to accomplish the service improvements. Implementation steps for this plan will be incorporated into the Department Goals and Objectives which are reviewed by the director and presented to the Board.
Using the department goals and objectives, the director will establish suitable metrics, and will provide regular quarterly updates to the Strategic Planning Committee and the Board through the department reports and committee meetings.
STRENGTHEN SCHOOL AND YOUTH SERVING ORGANIZATION PARTNERSHIPS
- Providing curricular support for K-12 teachers and schools serving the City of Rye
- Building connections to and coordinating with Youth Serving Organizations
DEVELOP THE RYE FREE READING ROOM BUSINESS CENTER
- Building a marketing and communications plan to promote existing business programs and resources to the Rye Community.
- Invest in technology and services to respond to user service demands
- Supporting City of Rye business community, including the Rye City Chamber of Commerce
COMPLETE A CAMPUS PLAN PROCESS FOR FUTURE CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS
- Developing a plan to address limited library parking and provide library users with easier access to library spaces and resources
- Developing a long-term master plan to assess capital requirements for priority programs and services that enhance collaboration, entrepreneurship, and individual study
ADVANCE STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIPS WITH COMMUNITY AND REGIONAL AGENCIES
- Welcoming program partners into the library to increase community awareness of programs and services in adult and senior communities
- Collaborating on programs to advance community interests and discussions.
INCREASE COMMUNITY KNOWLEDGE OF ALL ACTIVITIES
- Creating a comprehensive marketing strategy for audiences of all ages to inform and educate the community about library programs and services
- Enhancing the reputation of the Rye Free Reading Room as a dynamic space through greater awareness of library activities